RHYMNEY BOWLS CLUB (THE ROYAL)

ESTABLISHED 1926 - 90TH ANNIVERSARY 2016

The War Memorial Park, Rhymney.

The War Memorial Park was officially opened on 9th. May 1925. Within the confines of this area the bowling green and tennis courts were laid out. The ceremony was preceded by a procession through the main streets of the town. Headed by the Rhymney Brass Band, they were followed by representatives of all the public bodies, the Fire Brigade, St. John Ambulance, Scouts, Girl Guides and the Church Lads' Brigade. Later in the day, the people sat in the Park enjoying selections from the Band and watching the various sporting events that had been arranged for the occasion. ("Echoes of Rhymney" - E. E. Edwards)

  A present day reminder of this time is an iron-framed wooden bench situated on the perimeter of the bowling green which bears the inscription "Presented by Members of the Rhymney Workmen's Club and Institute. Collected by Mr. Tom Neades. September 1925"

1926 - The First Season

1926 brought the General Strike which had a far greater effect on the local community than any previous occurrence of the kind. Although it was called off unconditionally after nine days, the miners still carried on with their long drawn out struggle in their attempt to improve working conditions. People did much to help themselves.

                     Extract from Minute Book of Rhymney Royal Bowling Club:   

 "A meeting was held on March 3rd 1926 with the intention of forming a bowling club"                                                          

                   Mr. D. Istance, Presiding, in the Chair

Proposed & Seconded   That this meeting form a bowling club.

Proposed & Seconded:    That this club to be named "The Rhymney Bowling Club"

Proposed & Seconded the following officers:   

President: Mr. D. Istance, Vice President: Mr. W. Glencross, Chairman: Mr. Davies (Barclays Bank),  Vice Chairman: Mr. Rees Jones, Hon. Secretary & Treasurer: R. G. Vaughan.

Proposed & Seconded the following members form the Committee:

Mr. D. Istance, Mr. Glencross, Mr. Jackson, Mr. Rogers, Mr. Rees Jones & Mr. Pritchard.

Proposed & Seconded:    That this committee has power to receive its membership.

Proposed & Seconded:    That the Secretary issue Books of Rules & membership cards.

Proposed & Seconded   Such rules to be the same as the Welsh Bowling Association.

Proposed & Seconded:    Entrance fee 2/6d, Subscription 2/6d yearly.

Proposed & Seconded:    That this committee has power to accept whom they wish & to reject same.

Proposed & Seconded:    Every nominated person's name must come before the committee.

Proposed & Seconded:   The nominator must pay the entrance fee of 2/6d upon nominating such person or persons

Proposed & Seconded:    Should the nominated person not be accepted by the committee, his entrance    fee of 2/6d will be returned by the nominator or the Secretary.        

                              Confirmed as a true record.      J. Morgan Davies, Chairman. 30/3/26"    

The year of 1926 saw Mr. Edward Williams elected the first Captain and Mr. G. Gait his Vice Captain whilst the Club Secretary was requested to write to the Rhymney Urban District Council for permission to use two rinks on Thursday and Saturday afternoons between the hours of 3.00 - 6.00pm for club use for a fixed sum of money. The President of the club, Mr. D. Istance, was invited to bowl the first wood up the rink on Saturday 1st. May 1926 thus starting the use of the green by members of the Rhymney Bowling Club (The Royal) which has continued uninterrupted ever since.

On Saturday 8th. July 1926 the Rhymney Bowling Club played its first competitive match away to Brecon with the team consisting of C.Hill, W.Jackson, R.G.Vaughan, G.Gait, W.Glencross, W.Pritchard, Price (Bank), Davies(Bank), Reynolds, Rees Jones, Davies P.C., Jones(Cloth Hall), A.Evans, P.Lewis(Blast), Istance and Rogers with the skips being R.G.Vaughan, C.Hill, A.Evans and P.Lewis.      

Two weeks later, on Saturday 22nd. July 1926, the Rhymney club played its first home match against a Tredegar and Blackwood side. The team consisted of C.Hill, W.Jackson, R.G.Vaughan, Gait, W.Glencross, W. Pritchard, Price(Bank), Davies(Bank), Reynolds, Rees Jones, Rogers, Istance, Lewis(Blast), J.Evans and A.Evans. They could even afford the luxury of reserves in Jones(Cloth Hall), Price(Grocer), Davies P.C. and F.Maddocks. Again the skips were R.G.Vaughan, C.Hill, A.Evans and P.Lewis.

 The following week the game against Bassaleg had to be cancelled due to so many members going to the fete at Blackwood, but on 26th. July the Rhymney Bowling Club did pay its half guinea (10/6d) entrance fee to the W.B.A. During August, the club held its first tournament (with an entry fee of 1/=) with A. Evans being the first winner - the prize being a pair of woods. Inevitably a dinner was proposed for the presentation to be made to the said winner who had to make up the difference in the cost of the woods himself!.

1927 - In its meeting on August 29th. the club made the decision to join the Rhymney Valley League but only on condition that it did not interfer with the W.B.A. games.

1928 - saw the membership of the club rise to 45 members. In its meeting on 3rd. February, a decision was taken to defer the request from the Gwent Bowling Club for a match until a later date. Once again, the club held its own tournament over 15 ends with the final being over 21 ends. Prizes amounted to 40/= first prize and 30/= second (to be used for purchase of woods). The draw brought together R. Short v W. Davies; J. Bevan v V. Lewis; T.J. Rogers v R. Jones; J. Evans v W. Rabourne; A. Evans v D. Istance; R.G. Vaughan v H. Lloyd; W. Pritchard v W.R. Jackson; D. Roberts v D. Price(Bank); J. Davies v W. Davies PC; T. Lewis v F. Maddock; E. Williams v C.A. Evans; D.J. Jones v W. Glencross and T.J. John v M. J. Davies. The eventual winner was H. Lloyd. The club also went to Weston by train and left the Abertridwr league.

1929 - Matches were organised against new opposition including the Cardiff Tramways Bowling Club and the Tredegar Co's Employers Bowling Club. Mr. R.G. Vaughan resigned as Secretary due to pressure of work with T. Lewis taking over the role. Subscriptions for the season were set at 10/= for old members and 15/= for new members. The club suffered a further loss when the President, Mr.D.S. Istance, passed away during April. Mr. W. Glencross was appointed the new President with Mr. F. Maddocks his Vice President. The club organised its own pairs and singles tournaments and also took part in the W.B.A. pairs tournament. It declined to send players to the Monmouthshire County side to play the Civil Service at Oakdale but the club captain, Mr.A. Evans had represented the county team on two occasions during the season. The season concluded with a trip to Crickhowell.

The 1930s: The club organised its own tournaments for singles and pairs with the winners and runners-up of each to be the club representatives in the Monmouthshire singles and pairs tournaments.

                                                The Rhymney Bowling Green (c.1931)

                                          Honorary Officers of the Club during the 1930s     

Year

President

Chairman

Secretary

Treasurer

Captain

1930

W. Glencross

D.J. Jones

T. Lewis

W. Jackson

O.A. Evans

1931

W. Glencross

F. Maddocks (Snr)

D.J. Jones

W. Jackson

T. Rogers

1932

W. Glencross

J. Davies

D.J. Jones

W. Jackson

R. Short

1933

W. Glencross

A.W. Davies

D.J. Jones

W. Jackson

T. Glencross

1934

W. Glencross

B.A. Jones

D.J. Jones

W. Jackson

T. McDermott

1935

W. Glencross

Rees Jones

D.J. Jones

W. Jackson

F. Maddocks (Snr)

1936

O.A. Evans

R. Dibble

D.J. Jones

W. Jackson

J. Evans

1937

W. Jackson

D.N. Jones

J.E. Griffiths

R. Dibble

W. Jenkins

1938

F. Maddocks (Snr)

T.J. John

J.E. Griffiths

R. Dibble

Rees Jones

1939

F. Maddocks (Snr)

O.A. Evans

J.E. Griffiths

R. Dibble

B.A. Jones

 

                                                Rhymney Royal Bowling Club 1941